Thursday, August 11, 2005

A case study

http://www.optometrists.asn.au/ceo/backissues/vol85/no5/659

The above link is a page from Clinical and Experimental Optometry, an online medical journal, which features an abstract of a case study titled, "An artist with extreme deuteranomaly." At the bottom of that page is a link to download the complete text of the case study as a PDF document.

The case study offers some historical information about colorblind artists and then describes one oil painter's color deficiency and his way of coping with it (in a nutshell, he limits his pallet). The study refers to a few different colorblindness tests that provide for a very specific diagnosis and ends with a funny statistic:

In a study of high school boys it was found that the colorblind kids fared worse than their normal-vision peers in every academic subject but one: art.

I have one colorblind relative, my Great Uncle Bob. I always felt a special bond to him because of our little embarrassing disability (and he used to share magic tricks with me). One time he said, "It's really not a problem at all--just don't become an artist." Hmm... I'd like to show him this study.

6 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Paul said...

Downloade the PDF; looking forward to reading it!

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Paul said...

The report had one interesting note - they had the guy recreate the painting without telling him what base colors the original artist used. They may not have known, but the results surely would have been different had that information been available.

A friend was teaching me how to paint, and she wanted me to match an orange in a photograph. I couldn't do it with the palette I had, and asked her for assistance. She told me I couldn't have gotten there without a different red than what I was using. I wonder how often the test subject ran into this problem, and I wonder if the testers were even aware of the issue.

One interesting thing I learned is that one form of colorblindess renders greens as white. I was unaware of that form. I guess my form is milder than most, and I should suck it up and work harder to learn what I'm really seeing :0)

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Stuart said...

That interesting about seeing green as white. Green traffic lights blend in with street lights to me. Thankfully they mean "go".

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger davidflynn8196 said...

i thought your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website. now just Click Here

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Alex said...

Green traffic lights blend in with street lights! EXACTLY!!! I am colorblind and I have exactly the same
Problem.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to click on this link and it said i needed to log into the website. Is there a way I can read this article without having to be a member? I'm writing a research paper on color deficiency and would like to look it over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home